Friday, January 29, 2010

Mary spoke to me


 I went into the Musuem of Art in El Paso yesterday and apart from the fact there was actually very little art in the two story building, i was struck by these painting os Mary, about the size of an A4 piece of paper, on tin, or another light metal. The card said Anonymous and in about the 19th century. 
The painting of a woman holding out what looks like a bed sheet with the image of Mary on it, is my favourite. Just ordinary Mary on a bed sheet. This was very popular because it had been painted about 5 different times over several centuries.

If anyone knows why this work is so important please let me know.

Mary is one of middle names and I always think paintings of her look somewhat angelic also somehow kind of devious.

No comments:

Post a Comment